Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Collection Number: SC#82
The Spooklight Collection
Located approximately 11 miles southwest of Joplin, near the town of Hornet, Missouri. It is here that an eerie light appears in the middle of a road some nights for an unknown reason. The “Spook Light” began appearing in the year 1886 and has kept locals curious about its appearance.
Scope and Content
Pamphlets and copies of magazine and newspapers articles about the Spooklight, or Hornet Spook Light, in Newton County, Missouri, including "The Hornet Ghost Light: One of Nature's Unexplained Mysteries,"; published by the Neosho Chamber of Commerce in the 1960s.
“The Hornet Ghost Light” published by Neosho Chamber of Commerce
“The Ghosts of Missouri: Past and Present” written by Joan Gilbert and Jacki Gray
“Balls O’ Fire!” written by Robert Gannon
Portions of the collection donated in 1990 by Charles Nodler and in 1996 by Carol Coulter and Muenning.
- “The Hornet Ghost Light: One of Nature’s Unexplained Mysteries” booklet, published by the Neosho Chamber of Commerce
- “The Spooklight – Southwest Missouri’s Favorite Haunt” photocopy
- 1964 “Ghost Lights” copied article
- July-August, 1980 - “A Special Spooky Road” copied article
- 1980 - “Eerie light haunts ‘The Devil’s Promenade’” copied article
- Oct. 30, 1980 – The Kansas City Times, “Are ghosts true or false?” photocopy paper
- Oct. 31, 1981 – “Elusive Spooklight – the mystery lives on” copied article
- Nov. 29, 1981 – The Joplin Globe, “Oracle of the Spook Light…Curator Runs Museum on Mystery” copied article
- 1984 – “To the Spooklight” Map photocopy
- Sept.-Oct. 1984 – Ozark Mountaineer – “Spooklight Revisited” copied article
- Nov.-Dec. 1984 – “The Ghosts of Missouri: Past and Present” copied article (6 pages)
- Jun. 29, 1986 – “Tulsa man tags new theory on Hornet Spook Light” copied article
- “Spook Light: A Nightly Mystery” OK Magazine, copied article
- 1990 “Geologic Wonders & Curiosities of Missouri” copied article
- Sept. 1995 – “Ball O’ Fire!” copied article
- “Hoax or Real, Spook Light Attracts the Curious” photocopy
- Collection of copies of articles about the Spooklight (6 pages)
- “The Spooklight: A Visit to Southwest Missouri’s Favorite Haunt” copied article
- “Spook Light” paper prepared by the Joplin Area Chamber of Commerce
- “The Tri-State Spook Light, Mysterious Light of the Ozarks” copied article
- “Earth Lights Revelation – UFO’s and Mystery Light form Phenomena: The Earth’s Secret Energy Force” copied article
- Spooklight Legend Finds Fresh Believers in New Generations” copied article
- “The Hornet Spooklight” printed web article
This site is maintained by the librarians of George A. Spiva Library.
If you have a question or comment about the Library's LibGuides, please contact the site administrator.