Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
About Google Scholar
Google Scholar is a search engine that provides links to full-text articles to which Spiva Library subscribes or to articles made freely available by the publisher. It also provides articles from academic publishers, professional societies, preprint repositories and scholarly articles posted on the web. In addition, many articles are available when MSSU has a subscription which would work with EZ Proxy. Finally, Google Scholar provides citations along with abstracts of the article if it is protected by copyright.
Pros of Scholar
- Similar features of Google web search
- Search by cited feature
- Ranking of results
- Citation information provided
- Search vast array of information; technical reports, preprints, societal publications
- Full-text if available
Cons of Scholar
- Full-text not available or restriction access without a subscription
- Uneven coverage in social sciences, better for hard sciences
- No limiter for just scholarly publications
- Few options to limit or narrow search results
This site is maintained by the librarians of George A. Spiva Library.
If you have a question or comment about the Library's LibGuides, please contact the site administrator.