Skip to main content
Scifinder provides information for biomedical,chemical, and chemistry-related research. Options include searches by chemical structures, reagents/reactants,and/or functional groups. SciFinder searches Chemical Abstracts and Medline.
SciFinder is restricted to MSSU faculty, students and staff only. It is not intended for use by walk-in visitors who are not affiliated with MSSU.
First time using SciFinder at MSSU:
- Please see SciFinder system recommendations and requirements here.
- Click the MSSU SciFinder Registration link in here. Please visit this page for Step by Step Walkthrough of this process.
- Initial account set-up must be physically done on the campus network.
- Each user will need to register individually.
- After clicking Next and Accepting the User Agreement, enter all contact information.
- Be sure to use your MSSU e-mail as your contact email.
- Create a username and password that is different from your MSSU user ID and password.
- After clicking Register, you will receive a confirmation e-mail. If you do not see a confirmation email, check your spam folder.
- Click the link attached to this email and the registration process will be complete.
- Once you have completed your registration you can access SciFinder Scholar @ https://scifinder.cas.org and start searching.
Accessing SciFinder Off-Campus:
- Go to A-Z Database List, click the letter "S" on the top and click SciFinder.
- When the EZproxy window pops up, enter your MSSU credential. Please view this to see how to access library databases off-campus.
- If you see the message, "Not Authorized from this IP address," this means your computer's IP address has not been authenticated for MSSU.
- If you are on-campus and using your laptop, make sure you are logged in to the Southern wifi network.
- If you are off-campus, make sure your EZproxy access is working correctly.
- Once you are on the SciFinder Scholar, enter your credential you have created during the registration.
Forgot Your SciFinder Password:
- You can reset your password at the SciFinder login page if you have forgotten it.
- If you still have problem, you may need to contact CAS directly (firstname.lastname@example.org or 800-753-4227).
- You can access SciFinder through your smartphone.
- There is no app to download and no IP address restrictions.
- You just point the web browser to scinfinder.cas.org/mobile or scan this QR code below:
- Enter your SciFinder user name and password. Proxy server authorization is not required.
The following items are required if you would like to use SciFinder:
- Add https://scifinder.cas.org to your browser's "Trusted Sites"
- Add https://scifinder.cas.org to your browser's pop-up blocker exceptions lists.
- A PDF reader is required if you want to print SciFinder information.
- ActiveX and plug-in permissions must be configured if using Internet Explorer.
- Firefox users may need to activate or update plug-ins if they are experiencing problems.
Is your browser compatible?:
See here to find out.
For help with technical issues, contact:
Technical Services Librarian
For help with content and search-related issues, contact:
This site is maintained by the librarians of George A. Spiva Library.
If you have a question or comment about the Library's LibGuides, please contact the site administrator.